Buttermilk Sheet Pan Pancakes
Fluffy and comforting, buttermilk sheet pan pancakes are a simple delight that your whole family will love.
Similar to classic round buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk sheet pan pancakes provide the perfect “blank slate” for any amazing pancake toppings you can dream up! These pancakes are fluffy and flavorful all on their own, and they provide a natural base for fruit, nuts, syrups, and sauces.
One of the best features of sheet pan pancakes is that they bake all on their own in the oven, freeing up your time to work on other tasks. And you don’t even have to worry about getting the kitchen cleaned up, because these pancakes come together in just one bowl. So easy!
About these sheet pan pancakes
While this recipe can be made with regular milk, the buttermilk really elevates the complexity of the flavors and creates thick, tender pancakes that you just can’t get from a box.
It may seem intimidating to make buttermilk pancakes from scratch, but it’s really easy. Promise! You really do just add all of your ingredients into one bowl to combine, and then pour the entire batter onto a sheet pan and pop it in the oven.
While your pancakes are baking, you’ll have plenty of time to prep toppings, make lunches, or sit down with an extra cup of coffee.
Sheet pan pancakes are the perfect breakfast to toss in the oven when you have a fridge full of leftover bites. A piece or two of bacon, a handful of berries, a scoop of granola, and a little honey or syrup is all you need to create a sheet pan smorgasbord.
You can crumble bacon on one side and top with syrup, and sprinkle your berries on the other side with a little honey and granola for two options in one easy dish. It’s sure to be a new favorite way to make the most of what you already have on hand.
Yes! Simply increase the baking powder to 2 teaspoons and omit baking soda.
The acid in the buttermilk works with the baking soda to make the pancakes extra fluffy, and it makes the pancakes extra tender.
What you need
The ingredients in this recipe are super basic and straight-forward. If you have buttermilk, you probably have all the ingredients you need! As always, scroll down for a printable version of the recipe with measurements.
- Wet Ingredients: Buttermilk (or make your own buttermilk!), melted butter (you can also use oil but the flavor of butter can’t be beat), egg, and vanilla extract.
- Dry Ingredients: All-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
How to make it
Preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a 9×13 sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add melted butter to a mixing bowl and slowly whisk in buttermilk. Mixture will become slightly thick.
Whisk in beaten egg, sugar, and vanilla extract until well combined.
On top of wet ingredients, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Toss these together gently before stirring all ingredients together until just combined.
Spread into prepared sheet pan in an even layer. If you want to sprinkle on a few toppings, now is the time to do it.
Bake for 12 minutes or until set in the middle. Cut into squares and serve with desired toppings.
How to make these pancakes your own
- Leftovers never tasted so good! Not just for breakfast, you can enjoy buttermilk sheet pan pancakes for any meal. Try topping your pancakes with leftover ham and sliced pineapples, crumbled bacon and sausage, or fruit and yogurt.
- If you like blueberry pancakes, you can sprinkle a few blueberries on top of the batter before baking. Press them lightly into the batter before placing the sheet pan in the oven.
- This recipe is perfect for feeding a crowd. You can set two half sheet pans in the oven side-by-side to bake and then cut the cooked pancakes into squares. Serve on the pan with toppings on the side and you’ll have plenty to go around!
Store in the fridge for 2-3 days. You may also freeze these, but they may lose some of their texture.
Reheat leftovers in the microwave for 20-30 seconds on high power.
More sheet pan recipes
- Jalapeno Cheddar Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Pumpkin Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Ham and Pineapple Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Sheet Pan Breakfast Hash
Get the Recipe: Buttermilk Sheet Pan Pancakes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a 9×13 sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add melted butter to a mixing bowl and slowly whisk in buttermilk. Mixture will become slightly thick. Whisk in beaten egg, sugar, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- On top of wet ingredients, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Toss together gently before stirring all ingredients together until just combined.
- Spread into prepared sheet pan in an even layer.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until set in the middle. Cut into squares and serve with desired toppings.
- Can make with regular milk, increase baking powder to 2 teaspoons, omit baking soda.