Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad
This red, white, and blue fruit salad is sure to be the star of your next gathering!
Looking for a patriotic fruit salad to elevate your next backyard barbecue? This is it!
This amazing dish combines summer classics like juicy watermelon and plump blueberries, with a modern twist: beautiful, speckled dragon fruit. It will be an instant classic, the special dish your friends and family will ask for time and time again.
About this recipe
There’s so much to love about this sweet fruit salad. The star-shaped fruit looks so fun and lets everyone know you spent a little extra time to prepare something special.
The fresh fruit flavors are highlighted by a light lime and honey dressing, finished with just a hint of lime zest to draw out the sweetness of the fruit.
This fruit salad makes a great healthy dessert, too, especially if you top it with a dollop of Cool Whip or mix it with a sprinkle of Jello powder to add just a little extra sweetness.
If you’ve never had dragon fruit, don’t be intimidated by its bright and flashy look. Inside the bright pink exterior is a sweet, mild, easy-to-cut speckled white fruit that is delicious and kid-friendly. Kids love the taste of dragon fruit, and they’ll love to help make those stars with a cookie cutter.
If you’re looking to make a strawberry blueberry salad (a fan favorite!) you can definitely add strawberries too. Try slicing them lengthwise to add heart-shaped pieces into the mix.
Whether you’re looking for a fruit salad refresh to replace the usual cut fruit, or if you’re looking for something fun and patriotic, this red, white, and blue fruit salad is sure to be the “star” of the meal.
What you need
- Fresh Blueberries: The bigger the better!
- Dragon Fruit: Look for a round pink and green fruit in your grocer’s produce aisle.
- Watermelon: A summer classic! Make sure you get a seedless melon.
- Honey: You can also use agave if you prefer.
- Lime Juice and Zest: Bright, refreshing, and so good with that sweet summer fruit.
How to make it
On a cutting board, slice the dragon fruit and the watermelon both into ¼ – ½ inch thick disks. Discard the rind.
Using a star-shaped cookie cutter, cut the dragonfruit and watermelon into star shapes. We like using a couple of different sizes, but if you just have one, that will look pretty too!
In a large bowl, add the blueberries, dragonfruit, and watermelon. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lime juice, and lime zest.
Pour over the fruit in the large bowl. Gently stir to let the dressing distribute throughout the salad. It is best to let this salad sit for 3-5 minutes, to marinate in the dressing.
Tip! When pouring the dressing over the salad and mixing, it is best to mix very lightly so as not to break up the fruit stars.
This salad is best served chilled.
Dragon Fruit is grown in Central America and has a very mild, slightly sweet taste. Some say it tastes like a cross between a kiwi and a pear. The fruit is easy to cut with a knife or a cookie cutter, and it holds up well to gentle stirring, making it perfect for a fruit salad. As a bonus, Dragon Fruit is high in fiber and antioxidants, so give it a try!
If you’re looking for a red, white, and blue fruit salad, you could try apples, pineapple (not quite white, but pretty close), or pears (try to avoid an over-ripe pear so you don’t lose texture in the salad). You could also try jicama which is white, crunchy, and has a very mild flavor.
How to make this fruit salad your own
- This salad tastes great with a variety of fruit. The lime and honey dressing is delicious with strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, sliced red grapes, apples, nectarines, and more. Just be sure to stir very gently.
- For a great dessert option, you can add vanilla pudding, Cool Whip, or pound cake. A picture-perfect 4th of July dessert would be a slice of pound cake, this patriotic star fruit salad, and a dollop of whipped cream on top. A light dusting of lime zest over the whipped cream would be a beautiful and delicious garnish.
- Did you know that a lot of fruit salads include a sprinkle of powdered Jello mix? It adds just a little body and sweetness to the fruit. You don’t need to add the whole packet; just a light sprinkle to taste. Try strawberry or lime Jello mix.
Store leftover fruit salad in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
More fruity recipes
Get the Recipe: Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups dragonfruit, sliced and cut with star shaped cutters
- 2 cups watermelon, sliced and cut with star shaped cutters
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, or the zest of one lime
- On a cutting board, slice the dragonfruit into ¼ – ½ inch thick disks. Discard the rind. Cut the watermelon into ¼ – ½ inch thick disks. Discard the rind.
- Using a star shaped cookie cutter, cut star shapes into the dragonfruit and watermelon.
- In a large bowl, add the blueberries, dragonfruit, and watermelon. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lime juice, and lime zest. Pour over the fruit in the large bowl. Gently stir to let the dressing distribute throughout the salad. Serve chilled.
- When pouring the dressing over the salad and mixing, it is best to mix very lightly so as to keep the fruit stars intact.
- Let this salad sit for 3-5 minutes to marinate in the dressing for best flavor.
- Store leftovers in fridge for up to 4 days.