Bacon Pancakes with Bacon Brown Butter Topping
Nothing is better than the classic duo of salty bacon and fresh pancakes. These bacon pancakes, topped with toasty brown butter, are a modern pairing you just have to taste to believe.
Crisp, salty bacon and fluffy pancakes are an iconic breakfast pairing. This recipe offers a modern comfort food twist on bacon and pancakes by adding bacon right to the pancake batter and then finishing the dish with more bacon and brown butter.
If you’ve never made brown butter, it’s easy! All you have to do is add your butter to a hot pan and let it brown (click the link to learn more about how to brown butter). It’s ready when it has a nutty smell, and you guessed it, when it’s brown.
Once your butter is brown, add crispy pieces of chopped bacon and spoon the savory mixture over your bacon pancakes. One taste and you’ll agree it’s a savory-sweet comfort food combination that feels classic yet updated.
About these bacon pancakes
Bacon pancakes incorporate the best of sweet and savory into every bite.
Fresh garlic and parsley make these pancakes flavorful and fragrant, while the bacon brown butter and a bit of honey or maple syrup on top really ties this whole dish together.
If you’re looking for a healthier option, you can use turkey bacon or you can reduce the total amount of bacon in this dish. As long as you cook your bacon until it’s crisp, it’s sure to be delicious.
Just when you thought it was impossible to make bacon and pancakes any better, you’ve found a way to step it up. Bacon and pancakes are here to stay, and everybody’s here for it!
What you need
Bacon, of course! And more bacon…
- Dry ingredients: flour, sea salt, fresh parsley, minced garlic, cooked chopped bacon
- Wet ingredients: egg whites, milk, olive oil, butter
- Toppings: More bacon, brown butter, honey or syrup. The combination of the salty bacon and sweet honey or syrup is out of this world, especially in tandem with the nuttiness of brown butter.
How to make savory bacon pancakes
In a large bowl, combine flour, milk and salt until smooth.
In another bowl, use electric beaters to whisk white eggs until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the flour mixture.
Add in the parsley, garlic, oil and bacon. Mix together but don’t overmix.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Melt butter. Pour ¼ cup batter to make one pancake and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip pancake and cook on the other side until nicely golden. Repeat with remaining batter until none is left. You will make about 11 pancakes.
Serve with more bacon, brown butter and honey.
How to make this recipe your own
- Add cheese: Make these pancakes cheesy by adding parmesan or grated cheddar to the batter.
- Topping ideas: If you’re looking for a really savory dish, you can top these pancakes with salsa or hot sauce. Try goat cheese and chopped chives, similar to these savory waffles with goat cheese.
- Serving tips: Bacon pancakes can easily be the star dish or a brunch side dish. To serve them as a side or as part of a “small plates” meal, just make them a little smaller. These pancakes are the perfect companion to scrambled eggs or an easy egg bake.
Tip: make easy baked bacon! It’s super easy to cook bacon in the oven! Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper or foil (a lot of parchment paper or foil if you want an easy clean-up) and arrange the bacon in a single layer.. Bake at 400°F for about 12 to 18 minutes (depending on your oven and how thick your bacon is). Transfer the cooked bacon to paper towels to cool.
Pancakes can be kept in an airtight container for 2 days in the fridge. To freeze, wrap pancakes by using parchment paper in between. You can store them in your freezer for up to 1 month, but they’re best fresh!
Yes, you can swap water or a non-dairy milk for the milk. The edges might turn out crispier. Use vegetable oil instead of butter or dairy-free butter to grease the pan.
If you would like to make this recipe vegetarian, try using smoked gouda or smoked cheddar in the batter to add smokiness. You could also add ½ teaspoon smoked paprika.
More savory breakfast recipes
- Bacon, Jalapeno, Cheddar Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Zucchini Fritters
- Ham and Pineapple Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Savory Pancakes with Parmesan and Herbs
- Hot Chicken Pancakes
- Bacon Cheddar Savory Waffles
- Savory Bacon Dutch Baby with Cheddar Cheese
Get the Recipe: Bacon Pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 oz. bacon, cooked until crisp and chopped (more for topping
- 1 tablespoon butter, as needed for frying
- Toppings: Additional crispy bacon, brown butter, honey
- In a large bowl, combine flour, milk and salt until smooth.
- In another bowl, use electric beaters to whisk white eggs until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the flour mixture. Add the parsley, garlic, oil and bacon. Mix together but don’t overmix.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Melt butter. Pour ¼ cup batter to make one pancake and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip pancake and cook on the other side until nicely golden. Repeat with remaining batter until none is left. You will make about 11 pancakes.
- Serve with more bacon, brown butter and honey.