Chocolate Syrup – FIVE ingredients!
Homemade chocolate syrup is so easy to make, you’ll never buy it at the grocery store again!
Have you ever turned around a bottle of chocolate syrup and read the ingredient list? There are some that are better than others, but you’ll be surprised to know just how easy it is to make homemade chocolate syrup.
Made with five very simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen, it’s easy to prep, and this easy chocolate syrup recipe cooks for only a few minutes.
Once it’s done, it is ready for ice cream, cakes, cookies, pancakes, or whatever delicious treat you have in mind.
Use it right away (be careful, it’s hot!) or let it cool a bit. It will thicken as it cools, so it’s preferred to let it cool at least a touch before using.
About this chocolate syrup
The vanilla in this chocolate syrup brings out the fudgy flavor, and this creamy chocolate syrup brings out the best in your cooking and baking.
Sweet, rich, fudgy, and just right for drizzling, dipping, and swirling, this chocolate syrup is a delicious addition to whatever you have cooking.
This syrup makes the best chocolate milk in the summer and hot chocolate in the winter, and is great mixed into cocktails like mudslides or chocolate martinis as well.
Chocolate sauce is also the perfect consistency for topping your baked goods like waffles and crepes, and it’s a great chocolate dip for snacks like pretzel rods and graham crackers.
And of course, it’s great on pancakes! Try it on chocolate chip pancakes, banana pancakes, buttermilk pancakes, or double chocolate pancakes.
Try it in malts, milkshakes, sundaes, and more!
Whenever you need a little chocolate syrup in your life, this one’s got you covered.
What’s in this recipe
It couldn’t be easier! Truly, only 5 ingredients.
- Cocoa Powder – Make sure to use the unsweetened kind, since you’ll be adding sugar as well. Dark cocoa powder also works for a richer, darker sauce.
- Sugar – Just regular ol’ granulated sugar.
- Water – Seriously this recipe couldn’t be any easier.
- Vanilla Extract – The addition of vanilla really draws out the flavors of the cocoa and adds nice balance.
- Salt – This balances out the sweetness. You won’t notice it’s there, but it’s important.
How to make homemade chocolate syrup
Grab a medium size saucepan, and whisk together cocoa powder, sugar, and salt.
Whisk in water and heat over medium heat until boiling. Boil for 2-3 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Keep a close eye on it, stirring it nearly constantly.
Sauce will thicken as it cools.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
Cool and store in the fridge, ready and waiting to be drizzled on all our favorite things!
How to make this chocolate syrup your own:
- This recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, but you can change it up with a little mint extract or butter extract to change the flavors to suit your needs.
- Try dark cocoa powder for extra chocolatey flavor, or a dash of espresso powder while it cooks for a hint of coffee and a deep chocolate taste.
- This syrup is great in coffee drinks or cocktails that use a coffee or a chocolate base, like kahlua and cream or a chocolate martini made with vodka, chocolate sauce, and amaretto, cream, and Irish cream.
Make Ahead Ideas
This recipe is great to make ahead, since it’s better after it cools. Plan to make it the day before you want to use it and you’ll have it ready to go!
Store in a covered container in the fridge. We like to keep it in a squeeze bottle. It will keep for a few weeks in your fridge.
More sauce and topping recipes
Get the Recipe: Chocolate Syrup
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In saucepan, whisk cocoa, sugar, and salt.
- Whisk in water and heat over medium heat until boiling. Boil for 2-3 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Cool and store in refrigerator.
- makes about 2 cups
- adapted from allrecipes.com
- double batch pictured
6 Comments on “Chocolate Syrup – FIVE ingredients!”
This chocolate syrup was so easy to make and yummy! We used some left over for chocolate milk and it was just perfect!
It’s so perfect for chocolate milk! I’m glad you liked it!
Awesome and simple recipe!!!!!!!!!!Thanks.
Instead of the water can one add milk???
I haven’t tried it that way, it would affect taste slightly but may work. Let me know if you try it!
I like this recipe and I will sure make this recipe in my house and I will serve it to everybody in my house in fact, I will tell my family about this recipe and I am sure that they will make this recipe for me, my brother and my elder sister and whole family👪. Thank you❤🌹🙏
Thanks so much!