Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Anytime you add chocolate to more chocolate you’ve made a winner for sure! These chocolate chocolate chip pancakes are fluffy, tender, and contain just the right amount of chocolate–lots and lots of it!
What’s better than a chocolate pancake? A DOUBLE chocolate pancake! These chocolatey cakes are rich and flavorful thanks to the cocoa powder, and the chocolate chips add just the right amount of texture and extra chocolate in every bite.
- 1 About these chocolate chocolate chip pancakes
- 2 What’s in these double chocolate pancakes
- 3 How to make chocolate chocolate chip pancakes
- 4 How to make these double chocolate pancakes your own
- 5 Make Ahead Ideas
- 6 Storage Suggestions
- 7 Reheating Tips
- 8 More chocolatey recipes
- 9 Get the Recipe: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes
About these chocolate chocolate chip pancakes
This chocolate chocolate chip pancake recipe is going to be the one you can’t stop making! Lightly sweetened with just a tablespoon of sugar, this chocolate pancake base feels decadent without being extravagant.
These chocolate pancakes are similar to ones you might order at ihop or your local diner, but making them at home from scratch is WAY healthier (and really simple).
Chocolate chocolate chip pancakes take the everyday staples in your pantry and transform them into a truly unforgettable pancake dish.
It takes fewer than ten minutes to learn how to make homemade chocolate pancakes, and then the sky is the limit on your chocolate add-ins!
This recipe calls for a ¼ cup of chocolate chips, but you can get as creative as you would like. You can use those mini chocolate candy pieces with the hard candy shell (or the peanut butter kind) or pieces of chopped candy bars.
You really can’t go wrong when you’re adding chocolate to chocolate pancakes. One chocolatey bite and you’ll agree that you may never make plain pancakes again!
What’s in these double chocolate pancakes
- oil or melted butter
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- cocoa powder
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- chocolate chips
How to make chocolate chocolate chip pancakes
In a mixing bowl, whisk egg, milk, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
On top of wet ingredients, add flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Toss together lightly before stirring into wet ingredients (this saves you from having to use two bowls – win!). Mix only until just combined, do not overmix.
Fold in all those chocolate chips, or leave them out to drop onto the batter on the griddle. Both ways work!
Cook until cooked through and enjoy with your favorite toppings!
How to make these double chocolate pancakes your own
- This recipe is a great way to use up leftover chocolate candy you have around the house. The next time there’s candy in the house for a holiday or event, just throw the leftover pieces into the freezer in a storage bag and pull them out when you’re ready to make pancakes. Chop the candy into small pieces and add right to the griddle while the pancakes are cooking. Delicious!
- You can change the flavor by using your favorite type of cocoa powder.
- For fluffier pancakes, use buttermilk in place of regular milk.
- You can top these pancakes with butter and maple syrup or with whipped cream and chocolate shavings for a special treat. They’re also delicious with fresh fruit or fruit sauce on top, like fresh strawberries or a raspberry sauce.
- To give these a mocha twist, add 1-2 tablespoons of instant espresso powder to the wet ingredients.
Make Ahead Ideas
The dry ingredients can be premixed and stored in your pantry (just like you would keep store-bought pancake mix).
Leftover pancakes can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or frozen for up to 2 months.
Depending on the amount of added chocolate chips and chocolate pieces, you may want to reheat these in the microwave rather than a toaster or pan.
You won’t get the crisp outside that you get with a fresh pancake, but you also won’t have to clean melted chocolate chips out of your toaster.
More chocolatey recipes
Get the Recipe: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg, milk, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- On top of wet ingredients, add flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Toss together lightly before stirring into wet ingredients. Mix only until just combined, do not overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chips (see note).
- Heat a griddle over medium heat. If desired, grease with butter, oil, or nonstick cooking spray.
- Add batter by about 1/4 cup scoops.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bubbles appear and don’t disappear.
- Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- You can leave chocolate chips out and sprinkle them on after pouring batter onto griddle if you prefer a more uniform distribution of the chocolate chips.