Hot Chocolate Pancakes with Ganache
Hot chocolate pancakes are amazingly rich and decadent. Topped with a thick chocolate ganache, these pancakes are sure to make any day extra-special.
These super simple and ridiculously delicious hot chocolate pancakes are everything you could possibly hope for in a chocolate pancake. Thick, fluffy, sweet, and made with extra chocolate!
Mixed with cocoa powder, sugar, and whipping cream, this pancake recipe checks all the boxes for chocolatey goodness.
About these hot chocolate pancakes
This pancake recipe is inspired by the comfort and warmth of hot cocoa on a cold winter day, from the silky pancake texture to the melted dark chocolate ganache, to the mini marshmallow topping!
If you have small helpers at home, this recipe provides a great way for them to join you as sous chef in the kitchen.
Because it starts with a pre-mixed pancake base and requires only one bowl, little hands can help measure and stir without getting overwhelmed with too many ingredients. And of course they’ll be excited to be making hot chocolate pancakes!
The chocolate ganache topping could not be more simple or more delicious. Simply melt dark chocolate chips with heated heavy whipping cream and drizzle (or dump!) it right over your freshly cooked pancakes.
While this ganache is perfect on pancakes, it’s also just right for cookies…cakes…and eating with a spoon.
What are you waiting for? Hot chocolate pancakes are pretty much pancake perfection!
What’s in this recipe
- pancake mix
- granulated sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- heavy whipping cream
- vanilla extract
- dark chocolate chips
- mini marshmallows
How to make hot cocoa pancakes
In a large bowl, combine the pancake mix, granulated sugar, and unsweetened cocoa powder.
Add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, and eggs, mixing thoroughly.
Cook pancakes in a skillet or on an electric griddle, flipping to cook each side evenly.
For the chocolate ganache sauce, heat the remaining ¾ cup of heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan until simmering, then pour over the chocolate chips. Allow to sit for a minute and then whisk.
Top the pancakes with the ganache syrup and mini marshmallows
How to make these pancakes your own
- Hot cocoa pancakes are so fun and both kids and adults will enjoy them! Of course, you can serve them with this delicious salted caramel hot chocolate!
- While people might consume more hot chocolate in the cooler months, these pancakes are seasonless! Add fresh raspberries in the summer or try a caramel sauce in the fall.
- These pancakes are really fun with the mini marshmallow toppings. You can arrange the marshmallows in various patterns, like snowflake shapes in the winter, or set them in a line and sandwich them between two pancakes at Halloween–they will look like monster teeth!
- If you’re looking for a creative presentation, you can serve these pancakes in a mug. Cook them in a silver dollar size, and layer them in a large mug, drizzling chocolate ganache between the layers. Top with more chocolate and mini marshmallows!
You can store any leftover pancakes in an airtight container or Ziplock bag in the fridge for up to 7 days. They also freeze beautifully and can be kept frozen for up to 2 months.
Store any leftover ganache in an airtight container in the fridge.
Reheat ganache in a microwave safe container in 15-20 second intervals, pausing to stir between bursts.
More chocolatey recipes
Get the Recipe: Hot Chocolate Pancakes
- 2 cups pancake mix
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 8 ounces dark chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- In a large bowl, combine the pancake mix, granulated sugar, and unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, the vanilla extract, and eggs, making sure to mix ingredients thoroughly
- Cook pancakes in a skillet or on an electric griddle, flipping to cook each side evenly
- For the chocolate ganache sauce, heat the remaining ¾ cup of heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan, until simmering
- Pour the heavy whipping cream over the dark chocolate chips and allow it to sit for a minute or two
- Mix the heavy whipping cream and dark chocolate chips until it is smooth.
- Top the pancakes with the ganache syrup and mini marshmallows.
- These hot cocoa pancakes are so much fun to “decorate” too! Add things like whipped cream, chocolate shavings, candy canes, and salted caramel sauce to really change things up and make them a festive addition to your holiday celebrations.