Mocha pancakes are light, fluffy, and flavored with the incredible pairing of chocolate and espresso. Wake up to a stack of these scrumptious pancakes and get your day started right!
Mocha pancakes are a 3-for-1 special that seems too good to pass up. Chocolate, coffee, and pancake all in one bite? Sold! Try pairing them with a mocha frappuccino!
About these mocha pancakes
You don’t need to be a coffee lover to enjoy this breakfast treat. The combination of chocolate and espresso is so rich and flavorful, it’s a flavor combo most people can get on board with. If you happen to be an early morning coffee drinker, then this dear friends, is pretty much heaven on earth.
Whether it’s chocolate that brings out the flavor of the coffee or vice versa, these pancakes are suitable anytime between the hours of breakfast and dessert. Top with a chocolate syrup and a dusting of powder sugar and these pancakes will become your new favorite way to enjoy your morning coffee!
Despite popular belief, there is more caffeine in an average cup of coffee than there is in a shot of espresso (varies by brand, serving size, and strength of brew), so you can indulge without worrying about that!
As decadent and delicious as these coffee pancakes are, they are super simple to make. The ingredients are much like your average every day pancakes, but with added cocoa powder and espresso powder. In fact, this means you can even make these with pancake mix and go from there.
No more overspending at a coffee shop for your chocolate coffee, these made from scratch mocha pancakes will be reason enough to skip that line!
What’s in mocha pancakes?
- Egg – You’ll need one large egg for this recipe.
- Milk – You can use any milk you’d like. Dairy-free is an option as well.
- Oil – Coconut oil, vegetable oil, or melted butter. We love the flavor of melted butter, but often just use canola or vegetable oil to make things a little speedier.
- Vanilla Extract – A subtle warm vanilla flavor is a nice balance to the chocolate and coffee.
- All-Purpose Flour – The foundation of any pancake. Used to create structure.
- Cocoa Powder – Since there is no baking soda in this recipe you can use either regular or dutch processed.
- Espresso Powder – This isn’t the same as instant coffee. You’ll need less of it because of how concentrated it is.
- Granulated Sugar – Need a bit of sweetness to balance out the bitter nature of the coffee and cocoa powder.
- Baking Powder – This is needed to create light fluffy pancakes.
- Salt – Brings out the flavors of the other ingredients and really showcases each individual ingredient.
How to Make Mocha Pancakes from Scratch
A few simple steps are all it takes for these pancakes to come together. No need for sifting either. As always, scroll down for the complete printable recipe.
Add wet ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine well.
Lightly toss together dry ingredients and add on top of the wet ingredients.
Mix only until just combined, do not overmix. Otherwise, you’ll release too much air and for fluffy pancakes, you want to keep the air trapped.
Heat a griddle over medium heat. If desired, grease with butter, oil, or nonstick cooking spray. Add batter and cook until bubbles appear and don’t disappear.
Flip and cook until cooked through.
How to Make Mocha Pancakes with Pancake Mix
If you’re looking to save some time, this versatile recipe will make life much easier. Just add the same amounts of cocoa powder and espresso powder to the mix, and then prepare as directed on the package, and you’re set!
How to Make these Pancakes Your Own
- There are so many possible toppings to try! Whipped cream, chocolate sauce, chocolate ganache, maple cinnamon butter, or perhaps just a light dusting of powder sugar or maple syrup!
- To make this dairy-free, swap out the milk for a dairy-free alternative. Oat milk or almond milk both will work.
- For added chocolate flavor and to turn these into mocha chocolate chip pancakes throw in some chocolate chips!
- For a gluten-free version, swap out the all-purpose for a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour. You could also use any alternative flour you’d like, keeping in mind you may not get the same light and fluffy texture, and you may need to use more or less milk.
Chocolate coffee pancakes will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
Pop them in them microwave for 20-30 seconds, or toaster to warm through. For softer texture, the microwave is the way to go.
More Coffee Recipes
Love coffee? Try these irresistible recipes:
Get the Recipe: Mocha Pancakes
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg, milk, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- On top of wet ingredients, add flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Toss together lightly before stirring into wet ingredients. Mix only until just combined, do not overmix.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat. If desired, grease with butter, oil, or nonstick cooking spray.
- Add batter by about 1/4 cup scoops.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bubbles appear and don’t disappear.
- Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Makes 8-9 pancakes.
- Nutrition information does not include toppings.