Mocha Chocolate Chip Pancakes
The chocolate chips and bold espresso powder in mocha chocolate chip pancakes mean big flavor in every bite. They’re truly perfect for breakfast, dessert, and anytime in-between.
These coffee pancakes combine chocolate and espresso for breakfast, making this the best way to start a busy day. Add a fresh cup of hot coffee on the side, and you’ll have all the energy you need to tackle your agenda.
About these pancakes
Mocha chocolate chip pancakes taste like your favorite chocolate coffee. The espresso takes center stage when paired with a little cocoa powder, and the chocolate chips add a perfectly sweet finishing touch.
This pancake recipe is similar to chocolate pancakes in many ways, and super easy to make from scratch, but you can also use pancake mix to cut your prep time down so you can enjoy your chocolate coffee pancakes in even less time.
Thick and fluffy, these mocha chip pancakes are a great pick-me-up for the morning, but they’re just as delicious for dessert. Topped with coffee ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate-covered espresso beans, these mocha java pancakes are the easy dessert you didn’t know you were missing.
If you’ve never tried espresso in your pancakes, what are you waiting for? One bite and you wonder how you lived all these years without mocha chocolate chip pancakes in your life.
Want the perfect sip to pair them with? Try a mocha frappuccino!
What you need
All the basics, with a few bonuses! As always, keep scrolling for the printable version of the recipe, including measurements.
- Milk – We opt for 2% milk, but buttermilk or a non-dairy alternative would also work.
- Oil or Melted Butter – The taste of melted butter is second to none, but canola will also work here, or melted coconut oil.
- Vanilla Extract – The addition of vanilla adds depth to the flavors of the chocolate and espresso.
- Flour – We use all-purpose, but white whole wheat, or a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose would also work. You can also use a 1:1 Gluten-Free flour.
- Cocoa Powder – Choose an unsweetened cocoa powder, dark cocoa powder also works well.
- Espresso Powder – This dissolves well and is a super star ingredient in chocolate recipes!
- The Usual Suspects: Egg, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt
- Chocolate Chips: You really can’t go wrong with the addition of chocolate chips to your pancakes, you know?
How to make them
In a mixing bowl, whisk egg, milk, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
We’re all about getting only one bowl dirty, so right on top of the wet ingredients, you’re going to to add flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Toss together lightly before stirring into wet ingredients. Mix only until just combined, do not overmix.
Fold in chocolate chips.
Pour onto a preheated griddle and cook for 3-4 minutes or until bubbles appear and don’t disappear.
Flip and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through.
How to make these pancakes with pancake mix
No time to mix your dry ingredients from scratch? No problem! You can use pancake mix and just add your cocoa powder and espresso powder right to the mix!
How to make this recipe your own
- These pancakes are great with a little vanilla butter on top. If you’re looking to top with a sauce, try a chocolate ganache or chocolate syrup or a drizzle of caramel sauce.
- It’s easy to make a dairy-free version of these mocha chip pancakes. Simply sub the milk with unsweetened almond milk, and your favorite dairy-free chocolate chips or cacao nibs.
- This recipe can be gluten free, if you use a 1:1 gluten-free flour substitute.
- The chocolate chips are optional (but highly recommended!). You could also try a chopped toffee candy bar (like a Heath bar) or chopped mint chocolates (like Andes mints) in your coffee pancakes.
Store leftover pancakes in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat over low heat on a skillet until warmed through, or in the microwave.
More recipes for chocolate lovers
Get the Recipe: Mocha Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg, milk, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- On top of wet ingredients, add flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Toss together lightly before stirring into wet ingredients. Mix only until just combined, do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips (see note).
- Heat a griddle over medium heat. If desired, grease with butter, oil, or nonstick cooking spray.
- Add batter by about 1/4 cup scoops.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bubbles appear and don’t disappear.
- Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- For more even chocolate chip distribution, you may sprinkle them on after you pour the batter on the griddle, but this may cause the chocolate to burn slightly.
- Makes 8-9 pancakes.
Leave a Reply