Pesto Eggs – as seen on TikTok!
Have you seen the latest Pesto Eggs trending on social media? This easy egg recipe is simple and delicious, endlessly adaptable, and perfect for any meal of the day.
Who would have thought fried eggs would go viral? Pesto eggs are all over tiktok, resting atop ricotta and (what else?) avocado toast!
If you’re looking for a foolproof way to master the pesto eggs recipe and for a few easy adaptations, then you’ve come to the right place.
About this recipe
Pesto eggs are like a classic fried egg, but they are fried in pesto rather than butter or oil. The result is a fried egg with a perfectly cooked yolk infused with salt, pepper, garlic, and fresh basil flavors.
Pesto eggs are great on their own, but they also go well with other breakfast items like a thick slice of a crusty artisan sourdough loaf or a breakfast salad. Or of course, you can’t go wrong with candied bacon.
They make the most flavorful egg sandwich (try it on an unexpected bread, like a brioche roll), and they pair well with so many delicious cheeses (like feta and ricotta).
If you like omelettes, then you have to try scrambling your eggs and making a pesto egg omelette. Mixed with diced tomatoes and red onions, a pesto egg omelette is hard to beat. If you have spinach on hand, add it to the omelette just before removing the eggs from the heat to serve up an extra dose of heart-healthy veggies in your dish.
You certainly don’t have to be a tiktok millennial to get behind this trendy egg dish. And unlike today’s top video, these pesto eggs are definitely here to stay.
What you need
- Pesto: the classic green pesto can be found in your grocer’s pasta sauce aisle, often on the top shelves. Pesto tends to come in small glass jars but can also sometimes be found in the refrigerated section of the produce department.
- Eggs: any eggs will work!
How to make it
Spread the pesto around on the bottom of the pan and heat over medium heat until it begins to simmer.
Crack the egg over the pesto and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until done. If preferring a sunny side up egg like in the photos, add a teaspoon of water to the pan and cover to steam cook the top.
Serve alone or over avocado toast and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Pesto is a classic sauce made with olive oil, basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, and pepper. The fresh basil accounts for the bright green color.
Pesto is great in so many dishes. Try it on sandwiches, over grilled chicken, over roasted veggies, as a dip, and over pasta. It pairs well with margherita flavors like tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.
Pesto can be higher in fat because of the oil, but is also packed with vitamins from the fresh basil. A little pesto goes a long way, so what you pair with your pesto matters. Using edamame pasta or whole grain toast ups the health factor in your pesto dish. A single serving of pesto and eggs is a great way to start your day.
More TikTok Trending Recipes
How to make these eggs your own
- Serve your pesto eggs over avocado toast, or as an egg sandwich with a creamy white cheese, tomatoes, and a little ham or bacon.
- Pesto eggs are amazing on burgers! Give it a try; you won’t be disappointed!
- Pesto eggs are also really good over pasta dishes that take a creamy sauce.
- You can make a delicious, colorful, healthy brunch plate with pesto eggs by including a piece of whole grain toast, fresh sliced tomatoes, pesto eggs, and a bright fruit side like an orange.
- Prefer scrambled eggs? No problem. This recipe scrambles beautifully in the pan.
Storage & Reheating Suggestions
If you make extra pesto eggs, store them in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat them in a pan, or very carefully (5 seconds at a time!) in the microwave to avoid a microwave mess!
Looking for another great egg recipe?
Try these breakfast egg sliders!
Get the Recipe: Pesto Eggs
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 1 large egg
- Spread the pesto around on the bottom of the pan and heat over medium heat until it begins to simmer.
- Crack the egg over the pesto and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until done. If preferring a sunny side up egg like in the photos, add a teaspoon of water to the pan can cover to steam cook the top.
- Serve alone or over avocado toast and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- This method can be used with scrambled or fried eggs.
- Use 1 tablespoon of pesto for each egg.
- Original TikTok video